Pierre De Valck
1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
The terrible smell of the Cloaca Machine of Wim Delvoye
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
I dont see this as work
4. What led you to the design creation ?
Creating is a heavy loaded word, it’s more like continued research and having fun.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
Try to design and create as little as possible
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
Mainly reading and learning about history, antropology and sometimes coming up with some ideas for new designs
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
I am quite conservative in my material us. I am a high tech designer with a conservative taste for materials like bronze and stone.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
I try my best to hide all technical particularities.
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
Don’t try to overdo it and get off from instagram
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
Anything except modernism, please no.
11. What designers have influenced you ?
I am more into time periods, 19th century France deisgn was interesting.
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
Stating the obvious
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
I dont do collaborations, but if there would be a new cult or religion I am open to talk.
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Horn of plenty
2. What is your greatest fear?
A big white shark
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Being defined by traits
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Not being defined by traits
5. Which living person do you most admire?
A friend which name I can’t tell
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. What is the quality you most like in a man ?
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman ?
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Like a house, I You change one thing you have to change other things as well.
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having quite a lot of freedom
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
16. Where would you most like to live?
17. What is your most treasured possession?
My Iphone book collection
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
19. What is your favorite occupation?
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
21. What do you most value in your friends?
22. Who are your favorite writers?
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
I don’t read fiction
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
26. What are your favorite names?
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
Ask me later
29. How would you like to die?
30. What is your motto?
Waste not want not