Alex de Witte
1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
Hi ! I’m Alex de Witte, born and raised in the south of the Netherlands, (zeeland, means sea-land)
I grew up with the sea, we went there often and I still feel the connection with the wideness and nature)
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
My first memories come from my childhood when we went to a museum with classic and modern art. I only remember that is was absolutely boring to me. I now love going to many museums whenever I can.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
No I didn’t. I started the art academy at a later age of 26 years. In the beginning, I couldn’t find what I would like to do most in my career. After 3 years of acting in a musical as a hobby, I discoverd the freedom of art and expression. Then I decided to go to an art school.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
I feel comfortable with applied arts. I love to add a useful function to things. Often I have an idea for every day objects to create it more in a way I like to do.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
It’s hard to explain that in just a few sentences, it’s always and every time different. I don’t have a general way for creation. I set all my antennas in the right direction. I think a lot, I have a big fantasy and have many ideas. Often many in one day! the only thing I have to do more consious is to filter and to work things out and test it. If an idea past all the tests it could be a product. It often takes more than a year before someting is ready.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
My favorite days have multiple ingredients. Dreaming of starting, organizing productions, talking with people I work with to get things done… I planned at least 2 days in a week for free thinking, sketching and creating new work. However it’s never a whole day, it’s always in between organising and practical work. I think that’s the best way to work. It’s working for me at least.
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
The materials depend on the product I have to make, so it’s not starting with the materials usually.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
That’s totally different per product for lighting I have to take care for warm and enough light, also the mounting must be safe. It’s too much to clarify all challenges I face here.
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
Follow your feelings and don’t be afraid of the public. Meaning, stay close to youself and your ideas.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
If I could name it myself it would be called “Poetic’’. It’s a bit dreamy and naive, I love to follow my feelings about what I’m doing.
11. What designers have influenced you ?
Maarten Baas for sure, he refound himself many times. But in general, I’m more influenced by nature and the things I see around me than by colleagues.
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
I love the work of Maarten Baas I previously worked for. His work is really genious! Check it out. Especially his filmed clocks…… and many more designers and architects.
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
Christo for example, he was a genius as well ! His different view on things is refreshing. It’s poetic as well, and I fell in love with his works right away.
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
Poetic and free of boundaries.
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
Ab-so-lutely ! I’m working hard to create something different from lighting and glass, I don’t want to bind myself to the same ingredients over and over again.
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
2. What is your greatest fear?
Illness or death
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. What is the quality you most like in a man ?
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman ?
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
‘I Say ‘ when im giving orders to my 3D program.
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
Better sketching skills
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would change myself into a more diplomatic kind person
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
That I can do what I like the most.
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A bird to fly or a strong animal who could live in peace into the nature / woods
16. Where would you most like to live?
Here in The Netherlands, which is great otherwise, somewhere with more nature around (New Zealand or Sweden)
17. What is your most treasured possession?
In terms of design, the ragged chair by Tejo Remy, which is made from clothes from my closest friends and family
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
The fall of human being, like the war in Ukraine, it is so sad.
19. What is your favorite occupation?
Thinking about new, sketching, dreaming
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
21. What do you most value in your friends?
Talking openly with a lot of depth
22. Who are your favorite writers?
Many !! Min Jin Lee, Khaleid Hosseini etc.
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
I really don’t know, don’t identify with people in generally
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
No heroes, but I admire people who stand for the bigger goals like Mandela, I’m not like them, but I admire them
26. What are your favorite names?
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
That I didn’t finish my piano lessons in my childhood, now I had to start over again, (which is still joyful, I love Bach !)
29. How would you like to die?
Haha, in my sleep when I’m old
30. What is your motto?
Be free and stay close to yourself. It’s my highest core. (independence)