1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
I was born and raised in Bulgaria. In the past 10 years I have been living across Europe. Places that have been my home and creative context: Italy, Switzerland, Copenhagen and London. I am currently based in Stockholm.
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
My dad had a period when he collected art and I remember once he took me with him to visit the home and studio of some Bulgarian artist to pick up a painting. I was probably 5 or 6 years old.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
Yes, with a change of context and scale. I was initially trained as an Architect and have worked shortly in the architecture field prior to dedicating myself to art/design.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
The desire to make people feel in a certain way by using my own superpower- creating objects and spaces.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
My creative process is based on intuitive building-I often start a project by putting materials and shapes together in a scale 1:1 and from there I move forward to clear out the technicalities. A drawing is not the first thing in my process, sometimes it can be the very last thing that I do for a certain project. I like combining unique shapes found in nature with geometric shapes created industrially.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
Every day is different, even though lately I’ve been trying to set up some routine. I like getting up early to use the natural light while I work. Afternoons are usually for emails, visiting suppliers or field trips.
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
My material palette includes mainly natural materials such as stone (travertine, marble, onyx), wood and bronze. I like the idea of working with materials that are “alive” and go under a transformation during the working process but also after that-when they age with time.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
I work a lot with the idea of double reflection-a double sided mirror but also-with reflective surfaces that are not mirrors-such as polished brass.
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
Work full-scale from early on within the process. Always be curious to learn new craft techniques or improve the once you already have.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
The Japanese art movement Mono-ha.
11. What designers have influenced you ?
Andrea Branzi, Carlo Scarpa, Bruno Munari.
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
I like the work of Henrik Vibskov-he is a fashion designer with a very interesting approach to designing spaces and experiences.
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
Anish Kapoor, Kishio Suga, Rachel Whiteread, Fausto Melotti.
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
Reflections. (Both physical and psychological).
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Freedom to create and to be, unconditional love, mindfulness.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Not being able to live authentically.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Tadao Ando-for his work but mainly for being a self-taught architect.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
That I have too many extravagances.
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. What is the quality you most like in a man?
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Scandalous. Bizarre. Fascinating.
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
Acting-so that I can be able to hide my emotions sometimes.
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
To become more patient.
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Not giving up on my dreams despite all the difficulties I’ve been through.
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I would like to come back as water. So that I can travel the world in rivers and oceans in complete freedom.
16. Where would you most like to live?
Somewhere where I am loved. Preferably with a seaside in close proximity.
17. What is your most treasured possession?
My Macbook-perhaps that’s because I am not very diligent in doing back ups.
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Not being able to love anymore.
19. What is your favorite occupation?
Being in a flow.
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
21. What do you most value in your friends?
22. Who are your favorite writers?
F.S.Fizdgerald, Dimitar Dimov.
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
Ordinary people who have preserved their light.
26. What are your favorite names?
The ones of the people that I love.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
People with bad energy.
28. What is your greatest regret?
29. How would you like to die?
Fast and painless. In some adventure.
30. What is your motto?
Fight for what you believe in.