La Fabrique Noire
1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
I live in Begium, Fontaine l’évêque, i’m from Namur in Belgium.
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
the first time i have been connected to the art world , it was unconsciously at the beginning of my life, when i see nature, for me, art is everywhere in nature.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
no, i was a steel craftsman in industry before.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
passion of handmade, the liberty, the happiness sensation when i created , the possibility to transmit a message.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
my creative process is a transmission of my moment feeling, my moment emotion.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
i always start my work day with a cup of coffee ! but the reel beginning it was yesterday, when i thinked , when i dreamed that i will do this or that. after coffee, i look raw materials during some times, and inspiration come to me. depending of my inspiration , i start with woodworking or steel working or stone working. i work until my spirit is connected, i take a break when i feel it. the day is a mixed of works, thoughts and emotions. it’s different every days .
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
wood and stone, it’s for me very inspiring materials. nature have a lot of witnesses of past, in wood it’s the story of weather , in stone it’s the story of the earth ! very fascinating for me.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
it’s a mixed of old technicals, like shou sugi ban, tenon mortise, welding, stone working and no conventional methods too.
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
he must trust himself, he must listen himself and let yourself be guided by your inspiration . rest will coming.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
i not define me in a design movement, i am inspired by contemporary art , african art, japanese art, nature obviously , so i let people judge where they see me
11. What designers have influenced you ?
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
for me it’s a privilege to be in this interview so thanks for that
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
the perfect happiness come to me everyday when i open my eyes and i see nature, family and friends
2. What is your greatest fear?
disappoint poeple i love
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
i am stubborn
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
lack of open-mindedness
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
i will tell you that after a few drinks
7. What is your current state of mind?
full mindedness of all in my life
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. What is the quality you most like in a man ?
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman ?
being a woman is already a quality
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
if you are happy, i m happy too
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
know how to paint
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
be more calm
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
be a good husband
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
16. Where would you most like to live?
in a mountain chalet
17. What is your most treasured possession?
the memory of my grandmother
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
19. What is your favorite occupation?
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
i am sensitive
21. What do you most value in your friends?
22. Who are your favorite writers?
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
26. What are your favorite names?
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
be an artist earlier
29. How would you like to die?
30. What is your motto?
less is more