1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
I am Pepe Albargues, Co-founder of Missana. I was born in a tiny village called Massalaves located 40km south of Valencia in Spain and I am still living there.
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
I have always been connected to the art world in such a way, but it is difficult to give a precise memory on it. I would say I’m passionate of art in general since I can remember.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
Yes, I have always worked in the design world and started exploring new techniques in the 3D world just a few months ago.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
I am a designer and my passion for upholstery plus my Mediterranean location, my love for light and nature have led me to the design creation.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
I believe that the inspiration on my creative process comes from all what is around me. I just need to reflect, note them and start working on them. But I also like to interact and talk with people around the world. Traveling is extremely important as you are always inspired by the experiences you get from that.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
I am an early bird, so my working day starts at 5:30am. As I am also responsible for the production department at Missana, the first thing I do is to check everything is going as it is expected. –then, I go straight to carry on with new prototypes. I always have new products to develop on my working desk
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
Because they were determined not only by my inspiration but also by the product itself.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
Basically, the technique I use in all my creations is artisanal with a lot of care and detail
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
First of all, I would say that they have to do what they are good at, what is easy for them and, above all, what they love showing passion with it without giving up.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
Perhaps my designs belong to the avant-garde movement, but an expert could define it better than me
11. What designers have influenced you ?
I am not that sure who I have been influenced by, but without any doubts by several designers as they are the source you are seeing, exploring, analyzing every single moment.
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
I love Jaime Ayon’s work, but there are plenty of contemporary designers I really admire for their creativity.
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
I think it is more or less the same answer as the previous one, I guess I have been inspired by plenty of circumstances, by a special trip, by a film or theatre play as they are my favourite entertainments.
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
I would say without sounding too much pretentious that my creations are a mixture between tradition and authenticity
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
Just to say we live in an amazing world surrounded by a priceless beauty.
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
It is when the heart, mind, spirit and body are relaxed and in perfect harmony
2. What is your greatest fear?
It is related to all kind of illnesses, pain and grief.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My stubbormness and shyness
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Arrogance, pride and jealousy
5. Which living person do you most admire?
There are so many people I admire for their talent and virtues that it would be difficult to select just a person
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Setting up Missana Lab
7. What is your current state of mind?
In full bloom and happiness
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I don’t think there is one, a virtue is the best essence of human beings.
9. What is the quality you most like in a man ?
The intelligence and empathy
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman ?
There is no difference between man and woman, so the quality I like is exactly the same as in the man without considering genders, so intelligence and empathy
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I don’t know , I should be recorded to check it
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
A talent based on astronomy discoveries
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Getting less involved in things which take me away from my family
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I would like to be the same person as I am, with the same family
16. Where would you most like to live?
Where I live now, in Spain close to the Mediterranean region
17. What is your most treasured possession?
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Cruelty and abuse
19. What is your favorite occupation?
My work, astronomy, cinema and theater.
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
Respect for human beings
21. What do you most value in your friends?
Respect and loyalty
22. Who are your favorite writers?
Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
There is no specific name, but people supporting and encouraging both in the real and fiction world
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
I would like to have had Galileo Galilei’s talent
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
Amazing people you can trust
26. What are your favorite names?
Edgar and Jorge, my children’s names and Violeta my granddaughter’s name
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
Things I could have done better but, which are difficult to list them all
29. How would you like to die?
At home surrounded by my family
30. What is your motto?
Perseverance as the key to success