1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
We were born in two different small North Italian cities (Trento – close to Brenner border, and Biella – Piedmont), then we both moved to Milan and met in 2004.
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
Roberto: a picture of Fountain by Marcel Duchamp, that I saw in a newspaper when I was 7 or 8. It’s still one of my favourite artist.
Rodolfo: my grandmother was a painter, I remember clearly the amazing smell of the oil paint in her studio.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
We studied Industrial Design at Politecnico di Milano and then we had different experiences, ranging from architecture to design and art. After spending time abroad we met again in Milano in 2015 and decided to start a project together.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
Roberto : The chance to generate some emotions/feelings to the people trough design;
Rodolfo : It started very early. Since I was a kid I used to create objects. It was getting older that I realized this a way for me to express my thoughts and convey meaning.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
We observe, study and feel our context (place, people, professional or sociological communities) and try to do something connected with it.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
A dualism between theory and manufacturing, with an eye on communication.
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
Sometimes we start from everyday materials and try to ennoble it by the process, sometimes we use and shape them with a personal will. Every project needs its own material to be successful.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
We rely on techniques passed on by the artisan heritage (wood, metal) mixed with experimentation and contemporary materials (resin, composite, led light).
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
Find a reason why you think that your works would have the right to became public and don’t look at the market, everyone can do that. Look at your inner self instead, that’s unique.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
It’s hard to say, probably some of our works are close to the ready made movement, others to the minimalism, others might be connected with the Arts and Crafts movement or some topics, as the symbolism, typical of the Post modern movement.
11. What designers have influenced you ?
Ettore Sottsass, Achille Castiglioni, Gino Sarfatti, Carlo Mollino, Angelo Mangiarotti, Dieter Rams and many others.
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
Formafantasma, Sebastian Errazuriz, Michael Anastassiades, Studio Drift, Max Lamb, Martino Gamper, Nendo, Giopato & Coombes, Jacopo Foggini, Vincenzo De Cotiis and many others
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
Olafur Eliasson, Cerith Wyn Evans, Atelier Van Lieshout, Beniamino Servino, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Bernd e Hilla Becher, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Keith Jarretand many others.
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
Roberto : « The substance of things hoped for » (Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia)
Rodolfo : Meaning trough technique.
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
We hope that this tragic situation (Covid19) will made us clearly understand that the old system (production, economic, politic) cannot guarantee any kind of future. We’re looking forward to see a new world rising and have a good feeling about it.
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- Roberto : Life
- Rodolfo : Freedom
2. What is your greatest fear?
- Roberto : The void
- Rodolfo : Dying unfulfilled
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- Roberto: Manichaeism
- Rodolfo: Introversion
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- Roberto :Inconsciousness
- Rodolfo : Superficiality
5. Which living person do you most admire?
- Roberto : All the people who help other people’s life
- Rodolfo : Jose Mujica, former Uruguayan president
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
- Roberto : My will
- Rodolfo : I use to smell literally everything
7. What is your current state of mind?
- Roberto : Ready for a New Renaissance
- Rodolfo : Optimist and curious to see a new world after this great battle everyone is fighting
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- Roberto : Be exteriorly spectacular
- Rodolfo : Creativity
9. What is the quality you most like in a man?
- Roberto : Wisdom
- Rodolfo : Empathy
10. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- Roberto : Femininity
- Rodolfo : Same, empathy, there is no difference in human beings
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
- Roberto : Will, choise, sense
- Rodolfo : In my opinion
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
- Roberto : Emphaty, and many others
- Rodolfo : Dancing
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- Roberto : My bad memory
- Rodolfo : I wish I’d be more extrovert
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- Roberto : Morghen
- Rodolfo : Morghen
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
- Roberto : A horse
- Rodolfo : Definitely a wolf
16. Where would you most like to live?
- Roberto : In a small town, at the sea during summer, and on the mountain for winter
- Rodolfo : A small house in the countryside surrounded by nature
17. What is your most treasured possession?
- Roberto : My Life
- Rodolfo : My thoughts
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- Roberto : Suicide
- Rodolfo : Materialism
19. What is your favorite occupation?
- Roberto : Staying in Nature
- Rodolfo : Creating problems and solving problems
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
- Roberto : My will
- Rodolfo : Stubborn
21. What do you most value in your friends?
- Roberto : Their Presence
- Rodolfo : Loyalty and empathy
22. Who are your favorite writers?
- Roberto : Konstantinos Kavafis, John Fante, Italo Calvino, Jose Saramago and many others
- Rodolfo : Ernest Hemingway, Isaac Asimov and Tiziano Terzani among others
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
- Roberto : Robin Hood
- Rodolfo : Don Chisciotte
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
- Roberto : No one particularly. Ulysses for some reasons (as many of us)
- Rodolfo : I’ve always dreamt of being a great explorer like Marco Polo, Jurij Gagarin and Neil Armstrong
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
- Roberto : All the people who risk their lifes for other people
- Rodolfo : Anyone that has great honesty and empathy
26. What are your favorite names?
- Roberto : Giacomo, Maddalena
- Rodolfo: Leone and Luce
27. What is it that you most dislike?
- Roberto : People’s ignorance (not the one links to sociologic and economic conditions)
- Rodolfo : Aggression and violence
28. What is your greatest regret?
- Roberto : That I didn’t start before and did more
- Rodolfo : I never had the chance to meet my grandfathers
29. How would you like to die?
- Roberto : Fast, better while sleeping
- Rodolfo : Fulfilled
30. What is your motto?
- Roberto : “Who has not given everything, has given anything” (Helenio Herrera)
- Rodolfo: “When I saw I was under attack from all sides, I knew I was on the right track” (Man Ray)