1. Where were you born and where are you from ?
I’m from South Korea and was born in Incheon, a city next to Seoul.
2. What is your first memory connected to the art world ?
Frankly, I don’t really remember about that.
3. Have you always worked in the art/design field ?
Yes, after graduating from college, I started a metal craft & furniture workroom with my seniors and is independent now.
4. What led you to the design creation ?
‘#Collectibledesign’. While I was thinking about my career ahead of graduation from college, I came across the works of many artists around the world under the hashtag “Collectible Design” on Instagram, which resonated with me greatly.
5. How would you describe your creative process and it influences ?
It begins with the process of finding playful proportions and forms based on my previous inspirations. This process involves computational design. For those who consume my work visually or physically, I hope this gives them some curious, interesting, and overwhelming experiences.
6. Could you describe a typical day of your work ?
Since I live in a studio, I don’t need to commute separately. Usually I wake up in the morning, and I set my sights for each day and move. If I finish work earlier than scheduled, I rest early, or work late at night on days when I am not tired.
7. Why did you choose the specific materials you work with ?
I think there is a limit to expression for each specific material. The material (frp) currently in use is considered suitable for creating an unlimited form.
8. What are the technical particularities of your creations ?
It’s made in real stuff through a computational design. There is no formative limit, and it is as strong as metal.
9. What advices could you give to beginning artists who would like to create sculptural design works ?
Enjoy experimental challenges, and spend plenty of time establishing your own philosophy for your works.
10. If your works had to belong to a design movement, in which one would you define it ?
Collectible design(It’s not an established trend yet), Deconstructivism
11. What designers have influenced you ?
Max Lamb, Wang & Söderström, Misha Kahn, Peter Tarka, Six n Five etc
12. What contemporary designers do you appreciate ?
13. What contemporary artists (in any kind of art) have you been inspired by ?
Frank Ocean, Tom Misch
14. If you had to summarize your creations in one word or sentence, what would it be ?
Experiments and Challenges.
15. Is there anything you would like to add ?
Proust Questionnaire with very short answers (one or a few words) :
(The Proust Questionnaire is a set of questions answered by the French writer Marcel Proust. Other historical figures who have answered confession albums are Oscar Wilde, Karl Marx, Arthur Conan Doyle, Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Cézanne…)
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Nap in holiday
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. What is the quality you most like in a
man person ?
10. What is the quality you most like in a
11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Collectible design.. ?
12. Which talent would you most like to have?
13. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
14. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having the opportunity to enter this industry.
15. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
16. Where would you most like to live?
Anywhere with close to mother nature
17. What is your most treasured possession?
18. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
To be alone
19. What is your favorite occupation?
Exercise & game
20. What is your most marked characteristic?
I’m trying to be funny
21. What do you most value in your friends?
22. Who are your favorite writers?
23. Who is your hero of fiction?
24. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
25. Who are your heroes in real life?
26. What are your favorite names?
27. What is it that you most dislike?
Unbecoming behavior & saying
28. What is your greatest regret?
Not being interested in this industry earlier
29. How would you like to die?
Any type with after a long life
30. What is your motto?
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing